Wednesday, September 21, 2011

To-Do or To-Be


I went to stake standards night last week with the young women.  Our stake president led a really good discussion on our to-do list and our to-be list.  We listed things on the to-do list like homework,  sleep, eating, facebook ( granted these are teenagers), and also spiritual things like scriptures, prayer, church attendance ect... He told the youth to think about the things on your to-do list and what kind of person they are helping you to be.  Our to-be list was taken from D&C 4:5-6
 
"And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work.  Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence."

Think about your to-do list.. I think the better I am at my to-be list the more I will get done on my to-do list. One of my strategies in life is when it gets tough, I get busy.  I like to hide in my sewing room.  I feel safe in there.  I can control who I let in and what I get done in there.  Lately I have not had the desire to be in there much.  I hope it is a sign that I don't want to hide anymore.  I want to be out in the world exploring and doing.  


At another fireside Brother Fred Matis told us to hold our hands in front of our faces - well he really said it to all in the room who struggle with SSA but I think it is a good lesson for any of us.  He said, "with your hand in front of your face, what do you see?"  Of course all you can focus on is your hand.  Next he said to pull your hand back and hold it at arms length. "Now what do you see?"  Your hand is part of the bigger picture. It is only a small portion of your life.  Don't treat your problems and challenges as the only thing in your life.  


In D&C 24:8 it says " Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many; but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy day."

What a wonderful promise, we need to be patient because we will have lots of trails!  One of my favorite phrases in the Book of Mormon is the phrase that is looked over almost every time... and it came to pass.  If we learn to be patient with our trials, they will pass.

My to-be list is full of attributes to mold me into a more Christ like person.   The stake president  told us, "Don't let your self esteem come from what we do (wife of SSA, mom, friend, service, callings, profession). Don't let your to-do list become who you are - let your to-be list guide your choices."

I hope you can all find strength in your to-be list.

No comments:

Post a Comment